Sunday, October 25, 2020

I dreamed that people need to get to know Jesus (which isn't the same as going to church)


My final dream before rising this morning had me and a black fellow I don't know in waking life telling people it's really important that they get to know Jesus. We did not mean go to church.

That's as far as I got with that today. 

However, I just now recall years ago reading about a black personality in Texas saying something like, "Going to church has about as much chance of making you a Christian as sitting in your automobile in your garage has of making you an automobile."

I wonder how much church-goers actually think about Jesus in the Gospels saying such things as:

As you sow, so shall you reap. 

Love your neighbor as yourself.

Do unto others as you would have done unto you.

Resist not one who does evil.

Turn the other cheek.

Judge not, and God will not judge you.

Love, pray for and do good to your enemies. 

It is more blessed to give than to receive.

You cannot worship God and mammon.

It is harder for a rich man to get into the Kingdom of God, than for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle. 

Take no thought for your own life, or what you will eat, or what you will wear, but put your trust in God and these things will be provided to you. 

Be in but not of this world. 

Steep is the way, narrow the gate, and few enter therein.

Many are called, but few are chosen.

The work is great and the workers are few.

Good luck pulling all of that off? Far easier to go to church and believe Jesus saved us no mater how we behave?

Something came my way yesterday, challenging my sanity and toying with my time living in Key West, which caused me to have a bit of fun jotting down:

A great deal has been written and said about me online, and some of it is true and some of it isn’t. Early this year, a Key West firm, which had published many Key West/Florida Keys authors’ works, published A SOUTHERN LAWYER WHO BECAME A MYSTIC, which is a trilogy that can be purchased in paperback or kindle at Amazon. I later made the trilogy available for free at blogs. Part One of the trilogy, A FEW REMARKABLE PEOPLE I HAVE KNOWN, can be read at afewremarkablealabamapeople.com. At the end of Part One are links to Parts Two and Three: LAW & SPIRIT and SPONTNEOUS RAMBLINGS ON SOUL ALCHEMY. There is very little in that book about my many years in Key West, starting late 2000 and ending late 2018. During that time, I ran for city mayor 6 times, county commission 3 times, and school board once. I was known as the candidate who said what no other candidate said. I never expected to get elected, never came close to getting elected, might have had a heart attack if I did get elected, but I would have given it my best shot. I routinely said during campaigns and on my blogs and in media interviews that angels of the Lord owned and steered and corrected me, and had me run. I knew that caused me to be viewed as crazy. In my defense, Key West is an insane asylum, which is well known to people living there. In their defense, they tended to view me as crazy. Some, however, viewed me as crazy like a fox. I wasn’t always afflicted by angels, and what I was like before that began in early 1987, and some of what it was like afterward, is told in the trilogy. Also is my non-partisan blog, afoolsworkneverends.com, which mostly covers national politics these days in ways I bet the entire Key West conch farm ain't like nothing being wrote anywhere else. Nor is being turned every which a way but loose by Jesus and some of his angel friends like anything most church people experience, even though there are stories in the Bible about it happening to Jesus and other people. 

sloanbashinsky@yahoo.com

No comments: