Wednesday, January 15, 2020

new soul-fishing book: A Southern Lawyer Who Became a Mystic

According to the publisher, a 130-page soul-fishing book I put together last fall soon will be out in trade paperback and kindle. 

The book begins:


To Key West Poet Laureate Robert Frost
for taking the road less traveled by and that made all the difference

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS

The author thanks his friends and relatives
for putting up with him,
and Absolutely Amazing Books in Key West
for publishing his often stranger than fiction ramblings
Heh -
Key West is known for writers, poets, playwrights and eccentrics.


The book is a trilogy, and very little is about the nearly 18 years I mostly lived in Key West and on Little Torch Key, starting December 2000.

Part One is the little book, A Few Remarkable Alabama People I Have Known, which I fell out of me, with a lot of tears, in the fall of 2004. I was recovering from a rough time caused by my having blown a really important political assignment in Key West and the Florida Keys. The book restored my tattered soul somewhat. It was reprinted several times. I may have given away 2,000 copies.

Part Two tells how my Birmingham Alabama lawyer perspective consumer-protection books published in the mid-1980s, shifted late 1987, in Boulder, Colorado, to my emerging mystical perspective books about the application of spiritual law to human events, and the impact that transition had on my ego, character and perspective. That is followed by a sometimes amusing and sometimes agonizing flashback to my matriculation at the University of Alabama School of Law, in Tuscaloosa, which shaped the next 18 years of my life, not always for the better, but perhaps necessary for the later forks in the road.

Part Three is purely about spiritual alchemy. Some of it is original writing, and some of it is selections from afoolsworkneverends.blogspot.com. I once knew people who dug that kind of writing, but not so much after I moved from Boulder back to Birmingham in 1995.

Other Sweet Home Alabama updates:

I took a large older one-bedroom apartment, $900 a month rent, including furnished kitchen, hot and cold water, sewerage, pest control, garbage and recycles pick up. Got in with a $300 deposit and the first month's rent. The apartment faces east and mostly is shaded from the morning sun by large trees. I didn't turn on the window A/C units last summer. Ceiling fans kept the air moving pretty good. Electric bill $32 per month. Wi-Fi $18.  

The apartment is about 5-times larger than the efficiency I rented in the home of Key West friends for $1,000 per month, including utilities and Wi-Fi. The apartment would rent in Key West for at least $2,500 a month, plus utilities, and to get in probably would require first and last month's rent and deposit, $7,500.

sloanbashinsky@yahoo.com

No comments: