Friday, July 9, 2021

Will America ever be ready for its war soul alchemy?

Lately, I have featured Letters From an American historian and my and sometimes other of her readers' comments. Her Facebook page shows 1.4 million followers.

Heather Cox Richardson

an American historian and professor of history at Boston College, where she teaches courses on the American Civil War, the Reconstruction Era, the American West, and the Plains Indians. She previously taught history at MIT and the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Wikipedia

Below is the lead to Heather's July 8 letter. Below my comment is her full letter. Even if I were not a blogger, I think I would know her daily letters require a lot of blood, sweat and tears.

Today, President Joe Biden announced that the military mission of the United States in Afghanistan will end on August 31. We have been in that country for almost 20 years and have lost 2448 troops and personnel. Another 20,722 Americans have been wounded. Estimates of civilian deaths range from 35,000 to 40,000. The mission has cost more than a trillion dollars.


Thank you, Heather

How the American-led wars in Afghanistan and Iraq turned out is proof they were bad ideas in the first place, likewise America's war in Vietnam. History doesn't repeat itself entirely, but it does rhyme, as you keep reminding.

I found very few Americans who wondered about President John F. Kennedy being killed after he got cold feet about expanding America's military footprint in Vietnam, and Martin Luther King being killed after he came out against the Vietnam war as a rich white man's war.

I found very few Americans who were not appalled that President Barack Obama accepted the Nobel Peace Prize while he continued the Bush-Cheney wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I searched online and found several articles indicating Congressman Biden voted for both wars, but much later was a bit fuzzy about that. Here's a link to a CNN article: https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/31/politics/fact-check-biden-buttigieg-iraq-afghanistan/index.html.

I suppose it's too much for most Americans to admit that the wars in Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq were not worth one American or enemy soldier killed, wounded or battle-shocked (PTSD); not worth one penny spent; not worth one second of division in America over those wars.

I suppose it's too much for most Americans to admit those three wars were rich white men's wars for corporate profit.

Do Christian Americans who were, perhaps still are, for such wars, see those wars trampled everything Jesus said and stood for?

President Bill Clinton made a national apology to Vietnam for that war. Will President Joe Biden make a national apology to Afghanistan and Iraq for those wars?

Some time ago, I was moved to write a metaphysical perspective of 911 at a website a woman friend of mine and I had started. Here's a link to that article: https://www.intuitive-explorations.com/metaphysical-view-of-9-11/

It begins with my being asked in my sleep three nights before 911, "Will you make a prayer for a Divine Intervention for all of humanity?" I woke up, made the prayer.

On 911, my concern was America would start another war like Vietnam.

A few days later, I heard from the same source that America should get out of the Middle East altogether and let Israel and Islam work it out or fight it out, and in that way learn which of them is God's chosen people.

Later, I wondered: if I were a professional jumbo jet airline pilot, I would not be able to imagine how amateur Arab pilots were capable of maneuvering those giant airliners to the Twin Towers and the Pentagon all by their lonesomes.

The article also lays out the Bible roots of Islam's antipathy toward Judaism and Christendom, and how I was forced to repeatedly look in the mirror at myself, instead of elsewhere.

I was raised Christian, but along the way things happened and the article reflects some of that grueling change.


sloanbashinsky@yahoo.com

No comments: