Monday, August 26, 2024

college football schizophrenia cure, Facebook madness, and suspended sentences for gullible voters?

    I posted this yesterday at my Facebook page and in several “Bama Nation” Facebook groups.

"College Football Schizophrenia”

Because no one knows where a college football player will play next year, I wore an Alabama baseball cap, a Mississippi State jersey, Auburn athletic shoes and an Auburn daypack to yesterday’s annual August tailgate party at the Birmingham Bridge Club. I called my costume, “College Football Schizophrenia”. Although I did not win the best costume contest, I got some laughs. I was one of the judges for the best costume contest, and for the best Auburn costume, I voted for my bridge partner, who came dressed head to toe as a tiger, and I gave her the Auburn daypack.


As a long-time ardent Alabama Crimson Tide football fan and retired lawyer, I watched with dread and some amusement the hatching of Name, Image and Likeness, which allowed college alumni, called “boosters”, to pay high school football graduates to play at the boosters’ alma maters, and allowed boosters to pay college football players at other colleges to play at the boosters’ alma maters. All of that had been illegal and was done under cover- until Republicans and Democrats on the US Supreme Court made it legal. 


NIL was used to recruit for other college sports programs, but most of the NIL money was paid to football players, because football funds most colleges’ other sports programs.


While I wondered how journeymen players on college football teams felt about a few of their teammates making big bucks and driving fancy sports cars, I was blindsided by the death of the one-year waiting period that required a college football player who transferred to another school to sit out a year before playing for that school. College football players became free agents, which professional football players did not enjoy.


Several people at the bridge club agreed with me: the one-year sit out after transferring to another school rule has to be reinstated. Contracts need to be signed between college football players and their colleges that are specifically enforceable in a court of law and require a college football player, or any college athlete, who transfers to another college, to wait a year before playing at that new school. Why that has not already been implemented by the NCAA is beyond my comprehension.


If anyone here is interested, below is a brief history of my Monday morning armchair quarterback qualifications.


My father and I were Auburn fans when Alabama was going 0-10, and after Coach Bryant came to Alabama and started winning, we shifted allegiance, and my mother was an Auburn fan because they had fabulous beautiful baton twirling majorettes and she liked to root for the underdog. 


Also shifting my father’s allegiance to Alabama, Coach Bryant started promoting Coca-Cola and Golden Flake potato chips on The Bear Bryant Sunday after the game TV show, during which the game was replayed and Coach Bryant commented on the plays and talked about his players and their mommas and poppas. My father owned Golden Flake. 


When Coca-Cola and Golden Flake started sponsoring the Shug Jordan Sunday after the game TV show, I did not revert to being an Auburn fan, because I had become a Crimson Tide fan in my bones and soul.


I attended Vanderbilt University in Nashville, and when Vandy played Alabama, I rooted for Alabama. I did not apply to Vandy’s law school, because the Commodores went 0-10 my senior year, and 1-9 the year before, and I wanted to see some good college football while I was in law school, and went to law school at Alabama.


I saw Alabama fans go from wanting to beat Auburn more than anything else, to wanting to beat everyone. I saw Auburn fans wanting to beat Alabama more than anything else.


I watched the Tide ebb and flow under Coach Bryant. After he retired, I saw a lot of not so great Alabama football, except for one great Gene Stallings team that manhandled favored Miami in the Orange Bowl for the National Championship. 


By then, I hardly followed college football, and that continued until Alabama hired Nick Saban and I started rooting hard for Alabama again.


Now I wonder if I can enjoy America’s largest version of the oldest profession on fall Saturdays, if I ignore American politics?


    Later yesterday, Facebook disabled my account without any reason given. So far, I have not been able to figure out how to appeal or open a new FB account. I left Facebook's AI a few messages, saying it disabled my account without giving any reason, and I can’t figure out how to do anything about it. Sometimes I wish God, angels, ETS or something will abduct Mark Zukerberg, Elon Musk, Donald Trump, to name a few.


    Meanwhile, the more I read about Kamala Harris and the Democrats since Joe Biden announced he will not seek reelection, the more I wonder if Joe, Kamala and the Democrats have any clue what really is going on? The more I wonder if they indeed are the mythical Fukai tribe, which keeps getting lost and gathering in a circle and sitting down and closing their eyes and chanting, “Where the fuck are we? Where the fuck are we?”


    Not wishing to be sued by the ACLU for ethnic discrimination against liberals. I will share a dream my friend Bob, who does the tech work for my books at the free internet libraries and The Redneck Mystic Lawyer Podcast at YouTube and Torrent platforms, reported about New York US House of Representatives member George Santos being convicted in federal court- basically for lying during his campaign about everything that had to do with him.


    Excerpts:


For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Eastern District of New York

Former Congressman George Santos Pleads Guilty to Wire Fraud and Aggravated Identity Theft

Monday August 19, 2024 

Santos Admits He Filed Fraudulent FEC Reports, Embezzled Funds from Campaign Donors, Charged Credit Cards Without Authorization, Stole Identities, Obtained Unemployment Benefits Through Fraud, and Lied in Report to the House of Representatives

Earlier today, in federal court in Central Islip, former Congressman George Anthony Devolder Santos pleaded guilty to committing wire fraud and aggravated identity theft. The proceeding was held before United States District Judge Joanna Seybert.  When sentenced, Santos faces a minimum sentence of two years’ imprisonment and a maximum sentence of 22 years’ imprisonment. As part of the plea Santos will pay restitution of $373,749.97 and forfeiture of $205,002.97.

 

    Bob said, in his dream, a federal judge said he saw Santos was removed from office by the US Congress, and the judge was treating the matter as buyer beware, and if New York Republicans were gullible enough to vote for Santos, all Santos deserves is a suspended sentence.


    I wonder if the gullible New York Republicans who voted for Santos and will vote for Donald Trump, think God will give them a suspended sentence?


    I wonder if Trump and his gullible lemmings think God will give them a suspended sentence?


    I wonder if Joe Biden and Kamala Harris and their gullible lemmings think God will give them a suspended sentence?


sloanbashinsky@yahoo.com


No comments: