Wednesday, February 3, 2021

The Party of Lincoln became the Cop Killer Party

Throughout yesterday evening, I watched TV clips of the memorial service for Police Officer Brian Sicknick, who was murdered in the January 6 Capitol riot. It was heart wrenching, a long precession of police officers saluting Brian Sicknick. President Biden and his wife paid their respects. I did not see Donald Trump and his wife. 

I also watched many TV clips yesterday evening of Donald Trump inciting his white mob on January 6, and what they then did. Mass insanity, demonic possession. Many police officers at risk, trying to stop the frenzied mob. Trying, but not succeeding.

I wondered how "law and order, protect the Constitution" Republicans, generally, and in Congress, would have responded if the insurgents were black, instead of white? 

I wondered why Republicans, generally, and in Congress, are not every last one of them publicly denouncing Donald Trump and his mob for killing Police Officer Brian Sicknick? I thought the Republican Party had become the Cop Killer Party. Without remorse. 

I wondered if the Senate's now Republican minority leader Mitch McConnell, after saying, “The mob was fed lies. They were provoked by the president and other powerful people," will vote to convict Trump for inciting insurrection? Or, will McConnell weasel? Because, he's a weasel. Because, he's incapable of putting America ahead of his political party? Because, he's afraid Trump will kill him politically? Because, he's afraid Trump loonies will kill him, knowing that's what Trump wants them to do? 

I wondered how many Republicans, generally, and in Congress, are in Mitch McConnell's predicament? 

I wondered how many Republicans, generally, and in Congress, love what Trump and his white insurgents did on January 6? 

I thought all of them will hear about all of that when their roll is called up yonder.

sloanbashinsky@yahoo.com

No comments: