Saturday, January 2, 2021

existential conversations with old and newer friends about my prostate cancer

Existential conversations with old and newer friends re snapshots of a mystic dealing with prostate cancer and skin MRSA post at this blog:

Sรฉamus
I hope you get that in remission soon Sloan!

Sloan Bashinsky
me, too, but I suspect there are some grouches in the opposite camp.๐Ÿ˜Ž

Lee Ann
I am praying that you be healed of this promptly.....

Sloan Bashinsky
thanks, the angels say they take their orders from God, otherwise, who knows what all more strange things would be happening on this planet?๐Ÿ˜Ž

Davis
My heart and prayers are with you, brother Sloan ! My friend, David Wilkins was diagnosed with prostate cancer last year. He had the seeds and regretted it. Had burning side effects for months and wished he had had his removed. John Pennington had his removed years ago and had no problems since. You probably don't have a heart condition that will prevent the surgery...sooo hopefully you can have it removed ! You've got a lot more living to do. You're not under check mate !

Sloan Bashinsky
Thanks, Davis. I had heard bad things about radioactive seeds. All four doctors (urologist, surgeon, oncologist, internist) told me to go with radiation treatment. My dreams pointed me in that direction. Other people's dreams pointed me in that direction. One person's dreams were really concerned about effect of radiation on the parts of me that cause some people think I should be on psych meds in padded cell. Can't please everyone.๐Ÿ˜Ž
   
James
Godspeed.

Sloan Bashinsky
Gracias, same back at ya
  
James
a blessing from the sky from Sandalphon

Sloan Bashinsky
Thanks, you elucidated a small part of my ignorance, as I'd never heard of Sandalphon, so I went the search engine route, lots of stuff there, here's one link and a synopsis:

"Archangel Sandalphon is known as an angel who cares for the earth, presents people's prayers to God, and directs the music in heaven. Sandalphon (who believers say was the prophet Elijah before becoming an angel) presents people's prayers to God, inspires them to praise God in creative ways, and helps them use the talents God has given them to contribute to the world."

James
Bless you Sloan you have taught me much and continue to make me wonder at all I do not know.

Sloan Bashinsky
Heh, the angels on my case remind me just about every day of what all I do not know . Sometimes after one of the angels' seminars, I wonder if still believe the earth is flat and the sun and God revolve around it?๐Ÿ˜Ž

Paula
Dear friend, I pray for only the best outcome for you on this next adventure. I am always fascinated by the paths our lives take and the Earth realms we somehow "choose?" to explore. If love matters at all, I add mine to your strength and wisdom to come through this with a joyful satisfying life. I have a secret plan to have a dinner date with you again

Sloan Bashinsky
Thanks, old friend in Vermont. Your secret plan is outed. When I lived in Boulder, after you and I met met there in Hakomi psychotherapy training, this fell out of me: "There are no fig leaves in Paradise, nor any secrets." This also fell out of me, "God's gifts are not for sale, but are freely given to angels, saints, sinners, devils and fools alike, for all are God's children." And this, "Black is White, White is Black, when they fuse, Rainbows bloom." And, "Earth ... The sacred prism through which souls are refracted into their elemental parts, purified in Holy Fire, then one-forged and sent on their way to not even God knows where, because they are all unique emanations of God, evolving ..." We were told Hakomi is an ancient Hopi word no longer in usage, meaning, "How to I stand in relation to all these many realms?" I think I'd rather come to come to Vermont, in summer, having been cured in Boulder of living near snow and ice. Perhaps there is an Alice's Restaurant there? Where we can ponder other possibilities we had not yet considered? Hope 2021 is more ... fun. 2020 has been, well, that might have a few zillion opinions?

Paula
I will certainly find that restaurant. See you then.

Sloan Bashinsky
The oncologist and I talked a lot during both visits. During the 2nd visit, I said I sometimes am an anomaly for doctors. Whether that will play out with the prostate cancer, I would not dare predict. Didn't they stone prophets in olden times? ๐Ÿ˜ŽWhatever, you have known me a good bit longer than the other people who commented here, so far. Find that restaurant. 

John
Sorry to hear/read all that, Bash. All of us males will get an introduction to that or a similar version it seems. It sounds as if you have a good team of doctors helping you, and I hope and pray that you have a good result. The power of prayer and your spiritual work(past and present) might help. You certainly will liven up the Birmingham medical community with your wit and your humor, and your general take on things. Try to behave, old pal. Smile more, talk less..

Sloan Bashinsky
Try to behave, Number ! ? Heh, when I met with the oncologist the first time, we talked about lots of things besides cancer. He seemed interested in my saying I am mystic. I gave him links to some things I had written. We didn't talk about any of that the second time, reported above. It was time for him to do what he spent years learning to do well. I imagine there will be interesting twists and turns in this arena in the coming days, and in other arenas. Hope you and your clan doing well. Who'd have thunk in the summer of 2001, when you picked up a hitchhiker wearing an Atlanta Braves baseball cap, that you were getting ready to meet an errant fellow knight of the Kappa Alpha Order?๐Ÿ˜Ž

Jerry (retired anesthesiologist, college fraternity brother)
What grade did the biopsy show of the cancer?

Sloan Bashinsky
Of 12 biopsy samples, 3 were malignant; one had 7 Gleason score, 2 had 8; PSA was 22. The doctors did not grade it 1, 2, 3, 4 in my conversations with them. The oncologist said the 2 biopsy samples that were 8 Gleason looked nasty, and I needed to do something, either surgery to take out the prostate, or radiation.

Jerry
Sloan Bashinsky Gleason 8 is worrisome and warrants treatment. You would not die under anesthesia: trust your old friend on this, but it sounds like you are getting good medical advice. I had my prostate removed in 2008, when we were both a few years younger. Good luck with the treatment. We lost Tom Hutton to this disease so good thing you are tending to it.

Sloan Bashinsky
Thanks, Jerry. I’ve never had trouble with general anesthesia, which I’ve had 8 times; the doctors are concerned about my heart being strong enough for prostate surgery. I’ve never been diagnosed with heart trouble, my pulse, blood pressure okay, and cholesterol historically low, 100 total, last time checked perhaps 2011. Have very low stamina, though. The surgeon said he would not operate, unless I was thoroughly examined and the result was okay. I personally did not like what he told me about the seriousness and rigor of the surgery and the recovery period. I live alone, have to drive myself everywhere. All that aside, dying during surgery, under anesthesia, looks to me a heap more fun than most other exit methods known to me.

sloanbashinsky@yahoo.com

No comments: