Monday, June 12, 2017

just another day and night on one of God's hard rock piles (Key West), plus how the Democratic Party hoodwinked blacks

  
First today, two movie reviews:
"My Cousin Rachel", at Tropic Cinema,, Eaton Street, Key West:

Bizarre perhaps 18th Century English upper class semi-Oedipus love triangle storyline. Pay close attention to what the actors say at the end, or you will miss the punch lines.
"Megan, Leavey", at Tropic Cinema:

Middle class young woman society dropout, post traumatic shocked by best male friend's drug overdose death, joins U.S. Marine Corps, gets into war dog bomb sniffing corps, bonds with her disturbed but hugely talented German shepherd, Rex; they save many American soldiers' lives in Iraq, both get blown up by buried remote detonated ambush bomb aimed at them, but not dead blown up; Megan does not reup; recovered Rex is re-upped for Afghanistan, instead of his beloved master being allowed to adopt him; but fate and a lady Marine's true grit rattle every link in the chain of command up to the US Congress, national television and Yankee Stadium. I got choked up and wept several times, but was disappointed to see yet another glamorizing of wars America never should have fought.

Intense happenings in Key West police station front parking lot last night:
I got there to be down around 11:15 p.m. Right off, I heard a man screaming out in front of the station. Several times. Really loud. Then, I heard what sounded like a fist hitting the console of a car. Several times. I picked up the house telephone in the front lobby and told the lady who answered that I am the fellow who sleeps in the front lobby at night and what I am hearing out front of the station, and I don't know if there is someone else in the car with the man, and please send officers to check it out. The woman asked me for more, I said there is no more, I don't want to check it out myself, I don't know what's wrong with the man, but he's really upset about something and what's coming out of that car is violent. 

Soon, 2 officers came downstairs and into the front lobby and I walked them to where I could point at the car where the man making all the commotion was. They talked with him maybe 15 minutes. One officer came back to me and asked if I had heard the man hurting anyone else? I said I did not hear anyone else, but I did not know whether there was someone else. I heard the man yelling like a wounded wild animal, beating on his car. He was really upset about something, maybe he just got news that his brother got killed in Afghanistan. The officer said it was something like that. I said I was sorry for the man, I hoped the officers could help him. The officer thanked me and went back to the other officer and the man, and they maybe talked with him 15 more minutes, then they came back into the front lobby headed into the station. I told them I hoped they were able to help him. I laid down on a bench and went to sleep. I don't know if the disturbed man left in his car or stayed and slept in his car.

At 4 a.m. I awoke hearing loud shouting by law enforcement officers in the parking lot in front of the police station. I saw blue lights flashing. I heard what I thought was a gunshot, or two. I saw several police officers and heard what sounded like a black man yelling at them and them yelling back. I looked closer and saw a black, man who seemed really wound up on something. He kept yelling he is God, he is Jesus, over and over and over, and all this and all that they can't do to him, should not do to him, he is going to see to it is done to them. I watched the officers take him face down on the asphalt and cuff his hands behind his back, all the while he is yelling the above at them. One officer had his hands on the man's back, kneeing the man's left side with his knee repeatedly, until the officer seemed to realize the yelling man was not going to respond to anything. 

For about 15 minutes the officers tried to have a conversation with the man, who just kept raving. Rescue squad men came out of the fire station next door, as the man ranted and raved, and the officers kept trying to have a conversation with him, which was impossible given the man's state of mind. Finally, it looked to me like he was injected with something on his butt; he kept saying he was not going to sleep, he was not going to sleep, but after a while he started calming down and an officer came into the front lobby and took off his rubber medical gloves and put them into a trash container. I told him I had seen and heard most of it and could be a witness. He said they had it on video cams. I said he knows how people are, if they need an eyewitness, I'm available. 

I said it looks to me the man is on spice. I think the officer said the man had told them he had used spice. The officer said the man was very strong in that state. I said I saw that, like he was superhuman. The officer said the man had stolen a car and they had followed him to the police station. He thanked me, walked back to where the other officers and the rescue squad people were with the man, who still was making plenty of noise, but not as loud. It looked to me that an officer was removing taser wires from the man. Maybe it was taser discharge I had heard and thought it was gunshot. An ambulance was there by then and they brought out a gurney and put the man on in and strapped him on it and before long the ambulance left. I could not see if police officers were in the ambulance with the man when the ambulance left.
I thought that although people smoke spice, The Key West Citizen and other local news media really do need to stop calling spice synthetic marijuana. Spice is nothing like marijuana. Spice turns people into something not human. I have seen it do that several times. Spice manufacturers keep changing the formula slightly, to stay one step ahead of laws outlawing existing spice formulas. Word on the street is, spice can be made by spraying potpourri with insect repellant.

I laid back down on the bench and was able to get back to sleep. I woke up just before 6 a.m. and packed up and got on my bicycle and headed to Harpoon Harry's for breakfast. Just another night in paradise pretend. Not really. I have never seen anything like those two incidents at the police station. Probably a good thing it happened there instead of some place else.

On a more personal front, wink, wink, 
my hoodoo spell-casting amiga emailed yesterday:
Sorting through papers in my office, I came across this, written by you and dated April 2001.   Very poignant and still applicable today.

I know what it is to love fully,
have my heart broken by death
and by loved ones' rejections,
Over and over again,
so I can love even more.

I know what it is to be engulfed in pain,
Awash in evil,
Terrified, enraged, despaired,
Believing God has again forsaken me,
Then be given the truth
that again makes me free.

I know what it is to doubt,
Be lost and wandering
time and time again,
Then be rescued yet again
and my faith grows deeper.

I know what it is to blindly trust,
Then be destroyed by betrayal
time and time again,
Until I trust only God.

I know what it is to have much
and be completely of this world,
Then have it all taken away
and be in the world but not of it.

I know what it is to fail in this world,
and fail and fail and fail:
The world's greatest failure,
I can serve only God.

I know what it is to give
and give and give and give;
I cannot stop giving
because giving is receiving.

I know what it is to explain God
time after time after time again.
Something demands I keep explaining:
Maybe someone will listen,
Maybe me.


My first reply yesterday:

I wondered if this was what it was. When that thing fell out of me in early April 2001, and I knew I was fucked.

My second reply yesterday:

The night before that thing out of me, what I had come to know as The Voice told me in my sleep, "You will fail, but you might enter the Kingdom of God."

I was writing something every morning at the county library on their computers you could use for an hour, and that poem came out of me that morning. 

Typically, what I wrote each morning (except Sunday when the library was closed) came to me as I was going to the library on my bicycle.

Each days' issue began with:

"The pen is mightier than the sword, thus the sword defends the pen"

At the bottom was my email address, which had my name in it

Living on the street, I had little money, would print out a dollar's worth of copies, 10 copies, 10 cents a page, and run a route delivering the daily. One copy went to the city mayor, and other copies to homeless people, and perhaps a couple of people who were not homeless.

That was the beginning of my becoming a publisher/newspaper, so to speak.

My reply this morning:

That poem referred back to when it all started in early 1987 with the angels, after I had prayed to God to help me, I didn't want  to die like this, failed; I offer my life to human service. About 10 nights later, Jesus and Michael came and woke up and told me, "This will push you to your limits but you asked for it and we are going to give it to you." I was jolted with three successive bolts of spiritual lightning. They faded out. I didn't know their names then, only that they were supernatural and I thought they were angels.

I have noticed for the past 5 years or so that the angels have tried to get me to put that poem aside, it's screwing me up, so I slowly left it lay, and now you have sent it to me yesterday. What am I to make of that?

In today’s Key West Citizen (keysnews.com), which I went online and found in a better format:

Democrats' Hoodwinking of Blacks


|
Posted: Jun 07, 2017 12:01 AM

 Birmingham, Alabama
16th Street Baptist Church,
bombed by white supremacist
much later apprehended by the FEDS, 
prosecuted and imprisoned

Ask any black person which political party has been black people's political ally. With near unanimity, blacks would answer the Democratic Party. Ask which political party has been hostile to blacks, they'd say the Republican Party with similar unanimity. For better answers, check out Prager University's five-minute clip "The Inconvenient Truth About the Democratic Party," by Carol Swain, professor of political science at Vanderbilt University. 
Since its founding in the late 1820s, the Democratic Party has defended slavery, started the Civil War and opposed Reconstruction. The Democratic Party imposed segregation. Its members engaged in the lynchings of blacks and opposed the civil rights acts of the 1950s and '60s. During Reconstruction, hundreds of black men were elected to Southern state legislatures as Republicans, and 22 black Republicans served in the U.S. Congress by 1900. The Democratic Party did not elect a black man to Congress until 1935.
President Woodrow Wilson was a Progressive Democrat and an avowed racist who shared many views with the Ku Klux Klan. He resegregated the federal civil service. He screened the racist film "The Birth of a Nation," originally titled "The Clansman," at the White House; it was the very first movie ever played at the White House.
What was the party of Orval Faubus, the Arkansas governor who blocked the desegregation of Little Rock schools and defied the U.S. Supreme Court's unanimous 1954 Brown v. Board of Education decision? What was the party of Theophilus Eugene Connor, known as Bull Connor, who, as city commissioner, set vicious dogs, fire hoses and billy clubs on black civil rights demonstrators in Birmingham, Alabama? Connor said: "You can never whip these birds if you don't keep you and them separate. I found that out in Birmingham. You've got to keep your white and black separate." If you answered that Faubus and Connor were Democrats, go to the head of the class. By the way, it was Republican President Dwight D. Eisenhower who sent troops to ensure that black students could attend Little Rock's Central High School.
What was the political party of Alabama Gov. George Wallace, who, during the 1960s civil rights movement, declared that he stood for "segregation now, segregation tomorrow and segregation forever" and blocked black students from entering the University of Alabama?
A few years later, the only serious congressional opposition to the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964 came from Democrats. Eighty percent of Republicans in the House of Representatives supported the bill. Less than 70 percent of Democrats did. Democratic senators, led by ex-Klansman Robert Byrd's 14-hour filibuster, kept the bill tied up for 75 days, until Republicans mustered enough votes to break the filibuster.
Labor unions have always been allied with the Democratic Party and have a history of racism. Most of today's black leaders give unquestioned support to labor unions and their policies that harm black workers, but yesteryear's black leaders saw things differently. Frederick Douglass, in his 1874 essay "The Folly, Tyranny, and Wickedness of Labor Unions," argued that unions were not friends of blacks. W.E.B. Du Bois called unions "the greatest enemy of the black working man." Booker T. Washington also opposed unions because of their adverse impact on blacks.
Today, Democrats use diplomacy to hoodwink blacks. They tell blacks to be against those -- such as Education Secretary Betsy DeVos -- who are for school vouchers that enable black parents to get their children out of rotten schools run by Democrats at the National Education Association. Democrats are using black congressmen to go after Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke, who is a high-profile conservative, champion of law and order, and supporter of President Donald Trump. They view Clarke as a threat to Democratic Party interests. Indeed, if Democrats lost just 25 percent of the black vote, they would be in deep political trouble.
By the way, none of what I've said should be taken as an argument that blacks should rush to become Republicans. I'd like to see the black community acting the way most Japanese and Chinese communities do -- not getting into a tizzy over which political party is in power.
Sloan Bashinsky 
This white man was born and raised in Birmingham, Alabama, and was really slow getting his head screwed on straight about Birmingham's version of apartheid. Straight as a white man perhaps can get his head screwed on straight about that.
I have thought for some time, if blacks really wish to impact the white establishment, they will stop fighting rich white men's war$ for profit. Isn't that just a modern version of picking cotton for rich white people, whose children seldom fight those wars?
My take on Dr. Martin Luther King's assassination was: he came out against the Vietnam war, he saw who the white folks needed to fight it, he saw the rich white folks' sons like George W. Bush getting into state national guard units. And he got killed because he opposed that war.
I think that's what got President Kennedy killed: he got cold feet about Vietnam.
I was spared induction and going to Vietnam, by being a law school student, married and a father. I don't think that war was worth one American or Vietnamese killed or wounded. I feel the same about the Afghanistan and Iraq wars.

Click on this link to see article and all 253, often take no prisoners, reader comments:
sloanbashinsky@outlook.com

No comments:

Post a Comment